Oliver Winchester forced the insolvency of the Volcanic Arms Company in late 1856 (which made the Iron Framed Volcanic Pistols), took over ownership and moved the plant to New Haven, Connecticut, where it was reorganized as the New Haven Arms Company in April 1857. B. Tyler Henry was hired as plant superintendent. The result was one of the most desirable series of antique arms, The Brass-Framed Volcanics. This is a beautiful, large-frame Volcanic in very fine condition with the desirable 6" barrel. It retains prox. 80% original blue to its barrel mixing with untouched brown patina. The frame is a nut-shell brown patina that has never been cleaned or polished. The grips retain 90% plus original varnish. This rare gun shows only slight handling marks to its frame and grip with 2 dings to the right side of its magazine tube. It also has a replaced, over-sized brass follower that should be corrected. While continuing to make the Volcanic rifle and pistol, Henry began to experiment with the new rimfire ammunition, and modified the Volcanic lever action design to use it. The result was the Henry rifle. No Winchester collection is complete without one or more of the Volcanic Series of pistols or rifles within it.