This original Confederate Foot Officers Sword is in very good condition considering it has not been in its scabbard for some time. The grip is fine and retains all of its wrap and wire. The blade tip is worn but the etching is very fine retaining most of the maker name and a bold, strong etch to the owner, "Lieut. R. W. Craven". R. W. Craven mustered into the 1st Georgia Volunteer Infantry in March of 1861. After a short stint in Florida, this unit moved up to Virginia and served under Garnett & Jackson, then during Lee's Cheat Mountain Campaign was attached to General D.S. Donelson's Brigade. In December, they moved to Lynchburg and Winchester and then back to Georgia where their 1 year term had come to an end in March of '62. Craven then mustered into The 1st Confederate Infantry, Georgia Volunteers or 36th Georgia Infantry and served with them until February of 1863 when promoted to Lieutenant in Company "A" of the 64th Georgia Infantry. He fought and was wounded (as a Captain at or about the time of the Battle of Olustee) and after this battle the 64th Georiga was transferred to the Army of Northern Virginia in early May of 1864. The regiment was placed under the command of General Ambrose P. Hill and ordered to relieve Hill's Pickett stationed on Swift Creek. Eventually the unit was placed again under the command of General Beauregard and took a prominent part in the siege of Petersburg through the summer of 1864. By June its strength was down to 400 from its original 800. A major engagement ensued on June 21, when the Federal assaulted Battery 16. There were thirty miles of trenches around Petersburg. Assisted by the 25th and 44th Tennessee, the 64th Georgia Regiment repulsed the attack and captured most of the Federal force. The 64th Georgia also was involved in the famous Battle of the Crater during the siege of Petersburg, Va. on June 30, 1864. I could find no further information on Craven after March of 64. He may have been lost in the Battle for the Crater. The remnants of the 64th Georiga surrendered at Appomattox in April 1865.